Sunday, April 15, 2012

Canning Labels Quick & Easy

I consider myself a fairly organized person. My preserving shelves in the basement are NOT in alphabetical order, but they are tidy, with neat little rows of matching items. Part of that organizational process includes labeling all the jars of goodies I prepare throughout the year. And since I give many of them away as gifts, it's especially important to me that the jars be labeled properly and with correct canning dates. It's also important to me that my jars look pretty and very clean.

So it always drove me crazy when those jar labels - the kind that are applied directly to the glass - didn't come off cleanly or completely. Worse yet, when
the family doesn't remove the label before running the jars through the
dishwasher, that label goo can be practically impossible to remove.

The remnants of an old label.
YUCK!
If this is something that bothers you, too, I'd like to introduce you to a great little website, A Lotta Labels is run by Rebecca Barnes and it's truly a treasure trove of labels and fabric toppers for use by home canners. Simply go to her site at alottalabels.com, pick the size and designs you want, and before you know it, you'll be getting a packet-full of beautiful canning labels as the finishing touch to your home-made works of culinary art.

One of the things I like best about Rebecca's labels is that they are designed to fit perfectly on the TOP lid of your canning jars. Since those inner lids can't be reused anyway, they just get tossed out in the trash and there's no sticky label residue left on your reusable jars. Genius! Rebecca will even customize your labels with your name if you'd like. Happy canning!


My recent order of labels from A Lotta Labels.
Here's how they look on a jar!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly