Friday, February 17, 2012

Recipe: Syd's Grand Marnier Jelly

To get things started on the recipe front, here's one of my own creations - Grand Marnier Jelly. This is easy to make and something different. Given that it's the middle of winter and cold (at least it is here in Colorado!), I like this recipe because it doesn't rely on fresh fruit, which can be hard to come by this time of year. I'm pretty picky about using fresh ingredients in all my jams and jellies, so I'm always on the lookout for recipes I can make in the dead of winter.

It occurs to me as I type this that the first recipe I mentioned in this blog was beer jelly (for which I'll share the recipe when I have it "perfected") and now I'm sharing a recipe for jelly made with liqueur. Not sure what you'll all think of that, but I promise that not EVERYTHING I'll share with you starts with some sort of alcohol!

Syd's Grand Marnier Jelly

1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup pure orange juice (no pulp, or strained)
1/4 cup water
3/4  cup Grand Marnier (or other orange flavored) liqueur
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Combine all ingredients except liquid pectin in a large, non-reactive pot. Bring to a full, rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in full pouch of liquid pectin. When the mixture comes back to a full, rolling boil, continue cooking, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour into hot, prepared jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Wipe rims and apply lids and rings to fingertip tightness. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes at sea level, adding time for higher altitudes. Where I live in Colorado, the correct boiling time is 25 minutes.

Here's a great link to the Ball canning web site's altitude adjustment chart. This is a great one to print out and keep handy if you need it.



78RPJ4KJ53HU

4 comments:

  1. As a jelly-sounds yummy!--you're always so much more patient then I. I have made a plum Grand Mariner jam..which is also very nice--of course..Orange with almost anything is really nice...now..how about chocolate sauce?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a recipe for chocolate sauce that's safe to can? Now that would be right up my alley!

      Delete
    2. Syd,
      Check SB Canning and you will find quit a few recipe for Chocolate sauce. Real chocolate is made with butter and cream but you can safely make sauce with cocoa powder and you can pair that with fruits to make some incredible dessert toppings.

      Delete
    3. Thank you SB. I have the Ball Canning Book as well, but would so love to figure out how to can some version of a ganache, although I know that's not possible in the traditional sense. I'm following your blog, by the way, and look forward to seeing what else you have to share!

      Delete

Print Friendly